Upcoming Homeschool Conferences
Kansas has two large homeschool conferences each year, one in Kansas City and the other in Wichita. Below are links to more information on the conferences:
- Kansas City MPE conference: April 5-6, 2019, KCI Expo Center
- Wichita Wichita TPA conference: April 12-13, 2019, Century II
CHECK Legislative Event
CHECK will NOT host a Day Under the Dome in 2019, but rather will have leaders and homeschool representatives will host a legislative reception to connect with our Kansas Legislature. We expect Day Under the Dome to return in 2020.
FYI, below is information on our 2018 Day Under the Dome event.
CHECK held its Day Under the Dome 2018, Kansas’ annual homeschool day at our State’s Capitol on January 17, 2018. Below are details of the event.
Day Under the Dome 2018
This is a crucial time for home schooling in the state of Kansas. Your presence in the Capitol at this event, and your contact with your legislators is vital to preserving homeschool freedom in Kansas.
2018 Day Under the Dome in Topeka, sponsored by Christian Home Educators Confederation of Kansas (CHECK), was held on Wednesday, January 17th.
Overview of the day:
- 10 – 11:30 – Remarks from elected officials / Workshop on Interacting with State Lawmakers, Memorial Hall Auditorium at 10th and Jackson (across the street from the Capitol)
- 11:30 – 1:00 – Rally at the Capitol, first floor Rotunda and North Wing. There will be display tables by the following activities of interest to Kansas homeschool families: NCFCA, Classical Conversations, Zeta Eta homeschool Honor Society, Robotics, Lego Robotics, First Lego League, American Heritage, Trial Life, 4H, Golden Belt Vocal Festival, as well as homeschool support groups of Kansas City, Wichita, Topeka, Manhattan, and Salina.
- 11:30 on –Visit with your legislators. It is recommended that appointments to meet with legislators be made in advance. To make appointments with your state representative and senator, go to the Kansas legislative website (http://kslegislature.com/li/) and use the blue tab on the left “Find Your Legislator” to get the contact information.
- 11:30 on – Family field trip of the Capitol/Topeka – on your own, see ideas below.
Driving and parking directions – The only public access to the Capitol is through the Welcome Center accessed through the ground level entrance on the north side of the building (off SW 8th Avenue).
Below are ideas on how to make the most of your visit to the Capitol and Topeka.
The Capitol, as well as the City of Topeka, offers a variety of other opportunities for family “educational field trip” activities following the rally and visits to legislators, including tours of the Capitol building and visits to local museums. Please consider saving this date for your family to join the Kansas homeschool community at the 2018 Day Under the Dome event.
At the Capitol:
- Come visit the C.H.E.C.K. table for a list of legislators and their location.
- Take a self-guided prayer walk tour of the Capitol
- Go on a guided tour of the Capitol Building. For added fun, call ahead and ask your senator or representative if they can meet with you or give your family a tour. It might get you in places you would not get to see otherwise.
Thanks to Senator Dennis Pyle and Representative Ron Highland for reserving the Capitol and Memorial Hall, respectively.
In and around Topeka: Take advantage of other activities available in close proximity to the Capitol Building including: